Let’s Review the Reason You’re Building This Website
Just in case you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed after the first 3 steps, I want to remind you why you signed up for this. You are creating a website that is dedicated to your career and the awesome skills and solutions you bring to the people and companies that you work for. This is a great way to establish your reputation as an expert and get jobs. So let’s forge ahead!
What If You’re Having Trouble Choosing a Theme?
It’s not easy to choose one theme out of the 100o’s of themes that are available. But remember that his is a big step towards your goal of creating an e-resume portfolio website that truly reflects the value you bring to employers. So don’t give up!
You’ve probably heard the saying, “Content is king.” It applies to your website, so don’t be too concerned about finding the perfect theme. The content you put into your website is more important than the theme. If in doubt go with a simple theme that lets your content to shine through.
If you’re having trouble deciding on a theme, consider using one of these themes:
- If you’re willing to purchase a premium theme for $39 then go with the “My Resume WordPress Theme” from Elegant Themes.
- If you want to use a free theme and you don’t plan to use a lot of pictures, then try out the CleanHome theme. It’s a clean minimalistic design from the official WordPress themes directory that will allow your textual content to stand out.
How Easy Is It To Switch Themes If You Change Your Mind Later?
It all depends on how much work you have put into customizing your website and adding content. It’s very easy to switch themes before you add a lot of content and modifications. But after you have customized your website and added your personal content, changing to a new theme is a lot more work because you need to update your site to make it compatible with the settings of the new theme.
Basic Steps to Install a New Theme On Your Site
- Download the Theme archive ZIP file to your local computer.
- Upload the Theme files to your WordPress install on your Web Host host server.
- Select and activate the new Theme in your WordPress Admin Panel.
1. Upload the Theme to Your Website
WordPress has an automatic theme file uploader that works with most theme ZIP files. WordPress Themes are usually condensed into a ZIP file. After you download this file to your personal computer, you can use the WordPress Theme Uploader to automatically upload and extract the theme files to your site.
To download Themes directly to your website by using the Add New Themes option in the Appearance sub-menu.
- In your web browser, go to http://yourwebsite.*/wp-admin and log in to your WordPress Administration Panel. (Substitute your own domain for “yourwebsite.*”)
- Select the Appearance panel, then Themes.
- Select Install Themes
- Use the sub-menu or the Search or Filter options to locate a Theme you would like to upload.
- Click on the Install link to upload the Theme to your blog.
- Use the Upload link in the top sub-menu to upload a zipped copy of a Theme that you have previously downloaded to your machine.
- Follow the instructions below for selecting and activation the new Theme.
2. Selecting and Activating the New Theme for Your Website
To select a Theme to activate it for your website:
- Log in to the WordPress Administration Panel. To do so, go to http://yourwebsite.*/wp-admin (substitute your own domain for the “yourwebsite.*” part of the address.)
- Select the Appearance panel, then Themes.
- From the Available Themes section, click on the Theme title (or Theme screenshot) for the Theme you wish to activate.
- A preview of the Theme will be shown.
- To activate the Theme click the Activate “Theme Name” link in the top right.
Your selection should immediately become active.
Note: If the Theme preview is blank, do not activate the new Theme without investigating further. Your site may not be displayed correctly, otherwise.
When you are all finished with today’s lesson, the foundation of your e-resume portfolio site will be complete. That’s fantastic! The rest is just pure fun.
Now you get to add all of the content to your website that will tell people all about your amazing talents and accomplishments. You get to tell people about the unique solution you offer that will make their company more successful.
Let ‘s me know how it’s going. Hopefully today’s lesson was easy for you. But if you have any questions at all, I will be happy to help.
- Do You Need an eResume Portfolio Website?
- DIY e-Resume Portfolio: Let’s Get Started
- DIY e-Resume Portfolio Step 1: Claim Your Space on the Web
- DIY e-Resume Portfolio Step 2: Install WordPress
- DIY e-Resume Portfolio Step 3: Choose a WordPress Theme
- You are here: DIY e-Resume Portfolio Step 4: Install a New Theme on Your Site
- DIY e-Resume Portfolio Step 5: Create a Logo and Upload It to Your Site
- DIY e-Resume Portfolio Step 6: Menu and Reading Settings
- DIY e-Resume Portfolio Step 7: Get Social with Your Visitors
- DIY e-Resume Portfolio Step 8: Set Up Your Portfolio Page
- DIY e-Resume Portfolio Step 9: WordPress Backups and Security