You’re at a meet-up and someone asks, “So, what do you do?”
Well you came to the right place because my mission is to help you come up with the perfect answer to that question.
Your own personal tagline — a short and sweet sound bite that says what you do and why you do it.
The “why” part is where it gets interesting. It’s your mission. It’s the purpose behind your work.
Remember this: Your tagline isn’t about impressing people and getting them to hire you. It’s about getting a conversation started.
It’s inspirational because magic happens when you have a strong intention to make a difference.
The easiest way to create a personal tagline
Say what you do and why you do it
You may have the same job title as a million other people. Find something special about how you do your work that makes it more effective.
Do you solve a problem? Do you make people look good? Do you make people more successful?
It could be better customer service, better user experience, better team collaboration.
It’s your “why” statement, your mission, your superpower.
Examples of personal taglines
Superman: I conquer super villains and make the world a safer place.
Social Media Expert: I build Facebook pages to help companies engage with their customers.
App Developer: I write mobile apps that solve every-day problems. I’m working on one right now that helps people get to sleep.
Web Developer: I help people set up online stores that get lots of traffic and sell stuff.
Not your job title, but your job. What do you do when you’re doing your work? What’s difficult and important about what you do, what change do you make, what do you do that’s hard to live without and worth paying for?
- “I change the people who stop at my desk, from visitors to guests.”
- “I give my boss confidence.”
- “I close sales.”
If your only job is “showing up,” time to raise the stakes.
How to find your superpower
Your superpower is a combination of what you do plus the special thing you do that makes it great. It makes you irreplaceable.
Here’s how to create a personal tagline that holds the magic of your superpower:
- Use The Tell Me About Yourself Checklist to jog your memory about the great things you’ve done. This puts you in the right frame of mind.
- Watch Simon Sinek’s TED talk, How to Know Your Life Purpose in 5 Minutes
- Brainstorm 10 personal taglines that say what you do and why you do it.
- Now pick the one tagline that makes you feel the most confident.
So, What Do You Do?
My job as web manager for Stafflink involves a lot more than writing blog posts. I can narrow it down to this:
I connect tech careerists with their next opportunity.
What’s your personal tagline? Please share it the Comments section below.
If you’re having trouble coming up with one, let me know and I’ll try to help :-)
More posts to help you be more successful
- Top programming languages to get a job in Toronto in 2017
- Artificial Intelligence creates more jobs than it takes away
- The Tell Me About Yourself Checklist: Plan the Perfect Answer
- Mind hacks to calm your thoughts and feel more confident even if you’re feeling nervous
- Simple Improv techniques to improve your communication skills