The logo is the first thing people see when they visit a website. In this lesson you will take an important step forward with your e-resume portfolio website by creating your own personal logo and uploading it to your site. So let’s have some fun and design a logo.
If you’re thinking, “Hey, I’m not a graphic designer. How the heck am I going to create a logo?” No worries. I’m going to show you how to create a logo using free software that you probably already have installed on your computer. Plus I’m going to give you 8 simple templates you can use to to make your own personal logo by substituting your name or the name of your website.
Quick recap: So far you signed up with a web host and registered a domain name. You installed WordPress and a theme. Now you are ready to add some of your own personal style to your website.
Simple Logo Templates
The easiest way to create a personal logo is to use a novelty font. I created the following logo examples with fonts from Microsoft Office. Try to imagine how these logo ideas will look like with your own text. Or better yet, open up a word processing program and start playing with your text and different font combinations.
Template #1: AR DESTINE Font in 72 Point and 36 Point Bold Text with Turquoise Accent Text
Template #2: Bahaus 93 Font in 72 Point with Red Higlight and 36 Point Text
Template #3: Arial Rounded MT BOLD Font in 36 Point Black and Turquiose Accent Text
Template #4: Broadway Font in 36 Point White Text with Black Highlight
Template #5: Ebrima Font in 36 Point Black and 36 Point Bold Turquoise Text
Template #6: Magneto Font with 48 Point Initial Cap and 36 Point Text
Template #7: Myriad Web Pro Font in 36 point
How to Create an All-Text Logo and Upload It to Your Site
- Make sure the font you want to use is available on your computer. If you want help with installing a font to your system go to http://www.fontsquirrel.com/help.
- Open your Paint program and use the font to create the logo.
- Make sure the background color of your logo matches the background color of your site.
- Save your logo image as a JPG.
- Go to your Dashboard and upload the logo to the Media Library.
- Copy the File link location URL for your logo image file (CTRL-A).
- Go to Appearance > Theme Options, and paste URL for your new logo image into the Custom Logo URL text box (CTRL-V) and click Upload Image.
- Save your changes and check out your site.
Where to Find More Fonts
Many fonts are available on your personal computer. Here are some other places to look for free fonts:
- Google Web Fonts – http://www.google.com/webfonts
- Font Squirrel – http://fontsquirrel.com
- League of Movable Type – http://leagueofmovabletype.com
- DaFont – http://dafont.com
Ideas, Suggestions, Questions?
Got another idea for a logo. Please let us know in the comments section below.